GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The Communications Director is the primary interface between CRT and multiple external audiences including elected and appointed officials, funders, partner organizations and the general public. This individual will work with others in CRT leadership to enhance the agency’s reputation as thought leaders, valued partner and effective manager of services. After assessing threats and opportunities, s/he will shape public perceptions of the agency through strategic use of communications channels including print, digital and broadcast media; public statements; legislative testimony; white papers; correspondence; and more. As primary manager of media relations for CRT, responsible for the development of all public statements, press releases and working closely with the Development & Marketing Director and or other staff to publicize events and on all public relations initiatives. The position will be responsible for managing relationships with reporters, editors, editorial boards and representatives from other agencies. SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
To apply for this position please go to CRT's website at https://www.crtct.org/about/careers/ and complete the online application. Please upload your resume to the application along with your credentials and writing sample.
- Develop, implement and manage strategies to raise the local, regional and national profile of CRT, our programs and projects.
- Ensures that consistent, timely, accurate, and appropriately contextualized information to media and internal outlets is disseminated.
- Expand CRT’s image and reputation working in collaboration with all necessary stakeholders, leadership, and departments.Manage communications related to CRT’s strategic initiatives, and support leadership to ensure consistent messaging.
- Responsible for managing all media relations, including acting as CRT spokesperson, interacting with media and preparing leadership for media interviews and events.
- Build relationships with key media outlets, respond to all media inquiries in a timely manner, confer as appropriate with CRT leadership.
- Ensures that all public communications adhere to agency mission and vision.
- Learn and understand Agency programs and become expert in effectively presenting them to diverse stakeholders.
- Build relationships and work in partnership with CRT leadership and staff to identify opportunities for embedding communications strategies and tactics into operations.
- Apprises leadership of potential communications issues and provide recommendations for action.
- Develop correspondence on behalf of the CEO
- Actively pitch positive news stories.
- Compose a variety of materials including op-eds, speeches, press releases and media alerts, legislative briefings, and white papers.
- Monitor press and electronic media coverage of CRT, funders and partners, and issues of concern to these organizations.
- Research, write, edit, publish and produce presentations and/or assists in this effort.
- Train leadership and employees as needed, in media relations and public presentations.
- Design and lead strategic communication responses to protect the reputation and trust placed in the organization when it is facing a threat or challenge.
- Represent CRT in the community as needed.
- Work on special projects and initiatives as needed.
- Work closely with Development and Marketing Director to develop content to CRT’s social media strategy across platforms.
- Update and maintain CRT’s social media channels, including but not limited to Facebook, CRT website, Intranet site, Twitter.
- Design, implement, manage and evaluate e-newsletter and other electronic media communications
- Manage development, distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual reports, e-newsletters and website.
- Manage, expand and evaluate digital/social media presence.
- Manage webpage/intranet and social media channels ensuring that new and consistent information is posted regularly, and that program information is updated (added/removed) timely.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE Education:
Bachelor Degree required; Master Degree in Public Relations, Communications or related field preferred. Experience:
Eight (8) years of experience in the field(s) of communications, public relations or public affairs, or a combination of training and experience which provides the required skills and abilities. Experience in developing and executing communications programs for a large agency/company. Experience in writing and editing various forms of communication. Demonstrated Skills:
- High energy, outgoing, team player with a passion for CRT’s mission.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with a small team, in a large diverse organization.
- Ability to handle high level confidential matters with discretion and professionalism.
- Capacity to handle and prioritize multiple tasks - many with urgent deadlines - while maintaining attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written, editing, presentation and verbal communication skills.
- Sound judgment, professionalism, positive attitude, and public speaking ability.
- Ability to create opportunities to increase audience awareness and understanding of CRT, its programs and mission.
- Ability to build relations, integrate strategies and connect the dots between messages, timing and activities being carried out by other programs and Development and Marketing.
- Ability to establish relationships and collaborate with senior leadership, other communication professionals, key decision makers and all forms of media outlets.
- Familiar with developing and formalizing processes and procedures.
- Experienced in social media platform software and website content management systems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (i.e. MS Word, MS Access and MS Excel)
: YES Agency Vehicle: NO Employee’s Own Vehicle: YESActive driver license required upon hire and throughout employment. Some use of personal vehicle required. ADA COMPLIANCE Physical Ability:
Tasks involve sedentary to light work, involving some reaching, handling, fingering and/or feeling of objects and materials. Sensory Requirements:
Some tasks require visual perception and discrimination. Some tasks require oral communications ability. Environmental Factors:
Tasks are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, animals/wildlife, toxic/poisonous agents, violence, disease, or pathogenic substances.To apply for this position please go to CRT's website at https://www.crtct.org/about/careers/ and complete the online application. Please upload your resume to the application along with your credentials and writing sample.