Crain's New York Business is seeking a senior reporter to join our editorial team. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned journalist who is familiar with New York City, its economy and key players, and who can write knowledgeably about everything from business to politics. We are looking for a self-starter who can cultivate sources, develop their own story ideas and write authoritatively on a wide range of subjects.
A senior reporter generates daily digital stories and weekly print stories based on the news of the day and broader trends, finding fresh angles to stories that the competition doesn’t. We value premium content – breaking news, enterprise and analysis that readers can’t find anywhere else. The beat for this reporter has not been determined, but experience covering the economy, both public and private companies, small business, finance and politics is valued.
We are currently working remote but this reporter will be working in our midtown Manhattan office once we are back in the newsroom.
· Develop and manage core beat coverage by producing smart and serious news intelligence
· Generate feature-length news and analysis stories for weekly print publication on trends and innovations affecting the New York City business community
· Cover breaking news in the field and through independent reporting; maintain strong, foundational understanding of important topics and players in the local business community
· Contribute daily news items for morning and afternoon newsletters
· 5-plus years’ experience writing news stories in a newsroom or as a freelancer
· Strong interviewing, reporting and editing skills
· Ability to generate engaging headlines for newsletters and print
· A keen eye for detail and ability to weave a narrative for feature-length stories
· Ability to juggle multiple responsibilities
· Ability to work with others, under pressure, in a spirit of camaraderie
· Self-starting and critical-thinking skills
· Ability to deliver clean, grammatical copy on tight deadline
· Clips of published material or links to same
· Experience covering New York politics, business and finance
· Familiarity with Crain’s New York Business coverage and style
· Experience with live interviews and/or moderation of events and forums
· Demonstrated ability to write clearly about complex issues and ideas
· Ability to turn in feature-length news and analysis stories for weekly print publication on trends and innovations affecting New York City businesses.
· A presence on social media, especially Twitter
· Ability to plan and find speakers for conferences, as well as moderate panels for these events
This position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and is not eligible for overtime pay.
Crain’s New York Business is the trusted voice of the New York business community connecting large, mid-sized and small businesses across the five boroughs by providing insights, analysis and opinion on how to navigate New York’s complex business and political landscape. Crain’s features reports on emerging trends, interviews with thought leaders and industry experts, and coverage of commercial opportunities, economic changes, politics and more. Our integrated approach in print, digital, in person events and custom content opportunities align powerful content with a powerful audience.
Powered by Journalismnext