SFGATE is a digital-only publication that reaches more than 28 million readers every month and tells the stories of the people, places and ideas that make San Francisco, and the Bay Area at large, the weird and wonderful place that it is. We help readers navigate their day, whether it’s by keeping them updated on big breaking news, guiding them to interesting local experiences or sharing a part of the Bay they haven’t seen before.
The site is home to seven verticals: Culture, offering a unique mix of the entertainment news you actually need, and the underground stories from hidden corners of the Bay Area you want; Local, the premier destination for everything that life in San Francisco encompasses (from wildly expensive real estate to schools to what it’s like to live above a raucous bar); Sports, covering the intersection of sports and pop culture; Travel, covering everything from flight deals and travel news, to hotel hacks and under-the-radar day trips; Commuting, where we keep you up to speed on all things BART, Muni, and Caltrain, on and off the tracks; Food + Drink, where we tell you the backstory of the people behind the bar and in the kitchen; and News.
Under the direction of SFGATE’s Managing Editor, the Deputy Managing Editor will help lead an SFGATE expansion effort across California that will include satellite editions covering Lake Tahoe, California Parks, Disneyland, and Hawaii. The Deputy Managing Editor will be able to toggle between coming up analytically informed content ideas, helping to oversee edition calendars, working with freelance photographers and illustrators, dissecting data from newsletter growth and performance, optimizing user experience on the site, and even occasionally writing and/or editing. We want someone who can really do it all — and do it with a unique editorial voice and extensive editing, writing, and managerial experience. They must have a deep knowledge of and appreciation for feature journalism and news, as well as familiarity with the four California satellite edition locations generally.
What you’ll do:
- Consistently have ideas — you’ll be working with editors in three very different parts of the state, and one state unto itself entirely. You need to have a constant stream of ideas yourself, but also be able to workshop someone else’s idea to help them maintain an ambitious calendar with a wide audience funnel.
- Be autonomous — this position comes with a lot of trust, to both oversee a handful of editorial calendars, meet deadlines, understand analytics and communicate with the copy desk, photo department and illustrators. You have to be able to do all of these things, and do them well, without a lot of hand holding.
- Be consistent — not only is this an idea-heavy job, it’s an organization-heavy one. We want someone who can constantly ensure that all of the editorial machines are running effectively and meeting our editorial vision, applying generous amounts of creative oil where necessary.
Who you are:
- You have 5+ years of relevant experience in writing, editing and management of writers or editors at a publication or in a digital media environment
- You’re incredibly comfortable overseeing a growing staff in day-to-day site operations, including assigning, editing, and publishing stories
- You respond nimbly to cultural and news events, unpacking them to find an SFGATE angle that can help readers find emotional connections
- You know how to motivate a team and not only keep yourself organized, but inspire others to do the same.
- You’re able to collaborate with the Editorial Director and Managing Editor on thinking big-picutre about the expansion vision, and execute said vision across multiple platforms
- You live in the Bay Area or are able to move here once it’s safe to do so
- You have a passion for journalism and telling stories
- You’ve read SFGATE and have an understanding of the brand and voice
Powered by Journalismnext