SFGATE is a digital-only publication that reaches more than 28 million readers every month and tells the stories of the people, places and ideas that make San Francisco, and the Bay Area at large, the weird and wonderful place that it is. We help readers navigate their day, whether it’s by keeping them updated on big breaking news, guiding them to interesting local experiences or sharing a part of the Bay they haven’t seen before.
The site is home to seven verticals: Culture, offering a unique mix of the entertainment news you actually need, and the underground stories from hidden corners of the Bay Area you want; Local, the premier destination for everything that life in San Francisco encompasses (from wildly expensive real estate to schools to what it’s like to live above a raucous bar); Sports, covering the intersection of sports and pop culture; Travel, covering everything from flight deals and travel news, to hotel hacks and under-the-radar day trips; Commuting, where we keep you up to speed on all things BART, Muni, and Caltrain, on and off the tracks; Food + Drink, where we tell you the backstory of the people behind the bar and in the kitchen; and News.
Under the direction of SFGATE’s Managing Editor, the copy editor will work with our digital team to raise the watermark of the site for clean, concise prose. You’ll be asked to edit consistently at a high level, demonstrating expertise at not only grammar and style, but also offer expertise, and conceive solutions to common copy problems and help to implement them. You’ll also need to understand when to escalate issues and when to solve them at the individual or team level.
What you’ll do:
- Keen proofreading eye and strong attention to detail
- Excellent English language skills and deep knowledge of grammar and style rules
- Professional experience with standard style guides, such as Chicago Manual of Style or The Associated Press Stylebook
- Being a phenomenal headline writer who is able to take a complex story and distill it down into a handful of words
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse writers, editors, and staff
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Previous experience with a content management system
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
- Ability to work legally in the United States
- Ability to live in/commute to the San Francisco Bay Area
Who you are:
- You have 3 to 4 years of professional copy editing experience
- You have a Bachelor's Degree in English, Journalism, Creative Writing, Comparative Literature, Communications, or related fields from an accredited college or university, or equivalent, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position
- You’ve read SFGATE and have an understanding of the brand and voice
Powered by Journalismnext